The chrome plating base* is a new two-component "ceramic" type topcoat manufactured by Stardust, which has two particularly interesting properties :
- Very high and very fast hardening
- Very high gloss
This allows the use of chrome paint in the best conditions, both as an undercoat and as a topcoat :
- By greatly reducing the drying time to obtain maximum hardness (7-14 days for conventional lacquers and varnishes) as opposed to 1-2 days for the topcoat ST8900X.
- By creating a very hard and glossy background that allows the sprayed chrome effect to fully appear.
What you need to know is :
The mirror effect depends on the hardness of the background : the harder the background, the more perfect the mirror. On the contrary, the softer the background, the more the chrome effect is blurred.
The chrome effect paint is semi-transparent and can be applied over any background color. A black background is usually recommended. However, a grey or white background (a primer for example) is perfectly suitable. The advantage of black is that it can be varnished more easily.
Appearance : colorless / transparent / glossy
Type : solvent-based
Use of the topcoat / base for chrome
- The product can only be used on primed materials prepared according to the rules of painting.
- The product can be used as an undercoat (hard primer) and then as (topcoat).
- the product is suitable for sprayable chrome paint, and also for silver plating (chemical chrome)
- Can be used on small or large parts.
- Excellent resistance to UV, temperatures (250°C)
This base for chrome can be found in the complete kit of sprayable mirror paint as undercoat and final topcoat.
Mix by weight exactly 1 part topcoat ST8900X with 1 part hardener H440. No dilution.
Detail of the offers :
Kit 500ml : 250 ml topcoat 8900X + 250 ml hardener H440
Kit 1 L : 500 ml topcoat 8900X + 500 ml hardener H440
Kit 2 L : 1 L topcoat 8900X + 1 L hardener H440
Mixture pot life : 20 min
Application mode :
It is advisable to apply a single glossy coat (i.e. 25µm dry).
Drying and hardening :
Although excellent hardness is obtained after only 2 hours, it is possible to wait 24 to 48 hours to reach maximum hardness and therefore the best chrome effect.
IR or oven drying is possible at 60°C or 80°C.
When varnishing chrome paint, avoid "wetting" and "soaking" the mirror surface of the paint. Apply 4 veils as dry as possible to fix the mirror, with 2 min between each veil, then varnish 2 shiny coats.
The base/topcoat allows you to tint the mirror effect in order to give what are called colored chrome effects.
To do this, simply mix 2 to 6% "Candy" transparent dyes in the topcoat, or 1 to 3% in the topcoat/hardener mixture.