Chrome plating comprises several consecutive steps of spraying, and involves a non-hazardous chemical reaction (product not listed as carcinogenic, contains no heavy metals). Can be implemented on any type of surface, once the substrate has been correctly prepared (cleaning, degreasing, sanding, applying an adhesion primer if necessary). This first preparation of the part to be painted is done in accordance with painting's proper rules.
To ensure that the silver plating reaction is effective, it is necessary that the weather conditions best meet these guidelines: >20°C for the temperature of the ambient air in the workshop, for the temperature of the mixture (water + products) and for the surface of the structure to be chromed. If the temperature remains below 15°C, the reaction will be slowed down and will not give the desired results. The higher the temperature, the more satisfactory the results will be and the expenditure on products will decrease.
Installation: - Demineralised water, 5L or 10L (available in supermarkets) - Grate or holder - Container for collecting liquids + empty bottle
- Kitchen scale for weighing
- Each bottle must be perfectly clean, no residue should be present. Do not contaminate the various liquids together! - Prepare in advance all products thinned in bottles: The different phases must be carried out one after another, without interruption. - Pressurize the 3 pump sprayers, by pumping 60 times. Do not get too much liquid in the pumps: The more the liquid is present, the less air to pressurize.
- Wear goggles during each step, and beware against accidental spraying in the eyes.
- Undercoat and final topcoat applications should take place in a booth, in a well ventilated area or outdoors.
Here are the detailed instructions:
VIDEOS on this page
- 1/ Apply 2K white undercoat: Chrome At'Home Complete Kits include special aerosol undercoat. Composition: Acrylic-Polyurethane 2K You can also use any bodywork paint with hardener (2K finish, topcoated base ...) Caution: Undercoat and final topcoat applications should take place in a booth, in a well ventilated area or outdoors. Harmful and flammable product. Respect the safety instructions. Trigger the hardener at the bottom of the can, press several times. Then shake the can vigorously for 30 seconds. Aerosol service life: 1 hour max. Application: It is very important to obtain a very smooth and glossy paint. Take the piece to be painted and which is clean and finely sanded, and spray over it a first very thin pass of paint, to "create adherence". After 2-5 minutes, apply the final pass, thick and very wet, to create a glossy surface. Tip: If the coat is too thin, the paint will not be glossy. If the layer is too thick, you will get drips. Drying: Leave the part to dry 24-48 hours in a place protected from moisture, cold and dust. After drying: Do not touch the part with fingers. It should not be sanded or degreased.
- 2/ Apply the wetting agent: Non hazardous product Mixture: Inside a clean and empty spray bottle, mix 30-60g of concentrated wetting agent with 500g of demineralised water. Installation: Place the part to be painted on a grate above the container Spray all over the part including all hidden recesses and leave for 10 seconds. Rinse with the pump sprayer filled with demineralised water. Observe the surface of the painted part: It should be completely wet and the water should not form beads on the surface. If dry zones appear on the surface of the paint, repeat the process by re-applying the wetting agent, and then rinse again. Then go immediately to Phase 3 Mixture service life: a few days
- 3/ Apply the activator: Wear safety goggles. Product is irritating to the eyes. Mixture: Inside a clean and empty spray bottle, mix 30g of concentrated activator with 500g of demineralised water. Installation: Place the part to be painted on a grate above the container Spray all over the part including all hidden recesses and leave for 5-10 seconds. Never let dry. Rinse twice with the pump sprayer filled with demineralised water. To prevent stains, any trace of activator must be removed before starting the next step. Then go immediately to Phase 4 Mixture service life: 24hrs
- 4/ Spray the chrome: Wear safety goggles. Product is irritating to the eyes. Wear protective gloves and clothing: the product can leave stains! Do not breathe vapors or wear a respirator: the final product contains less than 0.5% of ammonia. Mixing: Solution A: Inside the pump sprayer A: mix 30g of concentrated A with 500g of demineralised water. Solution B: Inside the pump sprayer B: mix 30g of concentrated B with 500g of demineralised water. Installation: Place the part to be painted on a grate above the container Spray simultaneously the 2 products over the part to be painted. The reaction should occur within 10 to 60 seconds. Keep on spraying to ensure a good metallised coat Then rinse the part and blow-dry. Drying: 1.5h at 20 °C or 40 minutes at 35 °C. Then go to Phase 5: clearcoating. Mixture service life: a few days
- 5/ Apply the CAH 2K topcoat: CAH 2K clearcoat is the only recommended product to achieve a direct adhesion on the chrome plating, and a protection against yellowing.
Spray a first thin pass of topcoat to "create adherence". After 2-5 minutes, apply a second pass, to produce a glossy surface. After complete drying, the clearcoat can be sanded lightly and a highly resistant automotive topcoat can be applied over it. Harmful and flammable products. Respect the safety instructions. Wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area. Topcoat application should take place in a booth, in a well ventilated area or outdoors
The Chrome At'Home offer is available in different versions.
To avoid streaks and marks of other tasks: The most important stage is the wetting phase: the part must be perfectly wet, no dry zones must be visible, otherwise the activator and the chrome will settle only on wet areas. To promote wetting, here are some tips: - Perform a quick flame treatment on the surface of the paint (with a gas flame) - Prepare the wetting agent and the activator at least 1 to 2 hours ahead - Use warm water heated at 30 °C for mixing the wetting agent and the activator - Apply generously the wetting agent and rinse without insisting. In case dry zones still remain, repeat the process as many times as necessary. - Apply the activator without delay, immediately after rinsing, and as quickly as possible over the entire surface. Always spray the chrome from the bottom to the top Avoid placing adhesives and maskings (as it absorbs the reaction products and contaminates) Always rinse each stage (except the wetting agent), if necessary with a gun, especially in the corners. Rinse also supports and hooks. Do not try to chroming larger pieces a helmet: the size of the spray does not allow it.
1/ CAH Single Kit, 0.75sqm - 2 empty 500ml spray bottles - 3 empty 1000ml pump sprayers with coloured rings. - 1 spraycan of white undercoat (290ml) - 120g of concentrated wetting agent - 60 g of concentrated activator - 60g of concentrated solution A - 60g of concentrated solution B - 1 Spraycan of topcoat CAH 2K 290ml - 1 pair of protective goggles - 1 pair of blue nitrile gloves - Instructions
2/ CAH-c Single Kit, coloured version, 0.75sqm (Candy coloured clearcoat with a colour of your choice to be specified when putting your order)
3/ CAH2 Double Kit, 1.5sqm - 2 empty 500ml spray bottles - 3 empty 1000ml pump sprayers with coloured rings. - 2 spraycans of white undercoat (290ml each) - 240g of concentrated wetting agent - 120g of concentrated activator - 120g of concentrated solution A - 120g of concentrated solution B - 2 Spraycansof topcoatCAH2K (290mleach) - 1 pair of protective goggles - 2 pairs of blue nitrile gloves - Instructions
4/ CAH2-c Double Kit, coloured, 1.5sqm (Candy coloured clearcoat with a colour of your choice to be specified when putting your order)
*Demineralised water not included
- 120g of concentrated wetting agent - 60g of concentrated activator - 60g of concentrated solution A - 60g of concentrated solution B
Refill-2: - 240g of concentrated wetting agent - 120g of concentrated activator - 120g of concentrated solution A - 120g of concentrated solution B
For further information, do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Colouring: Colour can easily be added to chrome plating using our coloured topcoats (included in the kits - coloured version). Available colours: purple, cobalt blue, cyan, chlorophyll green, lime green, gold, orange, red. To order a colour, simply precise the desired colour in the comments box.
Performance and storage: Return rates shown are approximate. They depend on the number of passes applied. The temperature of water, of the part to be painted and of air between 25 and 45 °C can improve the efficiency and reduce product consumption. Concentrated products can be stored 3 months in the refrigerator, protected from light
Waste: It is very important to collect waste water in a container. Dispose of waste material as hazardous products at the waste depot site. Never discard waste into sewers. These products can pollute water and disrupt the operation of treatment centers.
Precautions and safety: Risk of explosion! Always keep the concentrated solution A away from heat and light. Do not allow the product to evaporate completely and rinse the empty bottle. Do not mix product A and B together. Respect the safety instructions and store out of the reach of children!
Safety Data Sheets: available upon request at email@example.com
To avoid drips and stains: · Always spray the chrome from the bottom to the top
· Avoid placing adhesives and maskings (as they both absorb the products and contaminate the reaction)
· Always thoroughly rinse at each stage (except when applying the wetting agent), if necessary with a spray gun, especially in all the corners. Rinse also supports and hooks.
· Do not attempt chroming pieces larger that an helmet: the size of the sprayers does not allow it.